Wednesday, April 16, 2008

the first and the last


My sophomore year, I have decided, is my first and last year.  I am not moving, nor am I a transfer, please understand I am being poetic.  
My freshman year I was adjusting.  It was a continuous transition, like walking down a long hallway to a door you see in the distance.  My sophomore year, I moved into the room I had been walking to.  Concordia really became my home this year and I have finally been able to blend school and home together.  
For me, college is a strange business.  I become so comfortable in my routine and the events of this year seem to have been exactly as they should be that it is strange to 
think that next year will be so different.  Everything feels so permanent and lasting.  I think that it is because I let it become permanent.  I live in Sigma 222 and I feel like I will live here the rest of my life.  If I didn't let myself feel that way, I would never have been able to make Concordia my home.  Last year, I had so much difficulty letting myself "settle in" and make my room my room.  But this year, I have thrown caution to the wind and now I sing in the shower.  I have to, I live here.  It is also strange to think that other people will live in different place next year too.  That always throws me off.  After all, we move into a room and make it our homes.  We become extremely comfortable in there.  Then we leave and someone else becomes comfortable in our old comfort zone.  Real strange.
Thinking back to the things I did last year and the friends that I spent my time with, it feels like a completely different life.  Like thinking back to high school and how that was
different life.  I can't imagine that next year will be another different life.
This is
 my last year because I feel like I am graduating.  I need some young friends.
I can't believe I have two more years left here and every time I remember this I become very happy and relaxed.  I thought things were moving way to fast, but looking back, I'd say I have accomplished a lot more than it feels sometimes.

life life life.... college college college.... youth youth youth...  

2 comments:

Ian said...

Change sometimes sucks... Other times its not so bad. But one thing is for sure, your life will keep on gettting better and better each year as long as you just let it happen.
You sparked a lotta thoughts in my own head.

I'm Kelsie said...

lately i've found so much beauty in the continuous changing of the concept of 'home'. as i've lived in 3 different 'homes' in the last 3 years, it's a reminder that this world is not our home. God has something so much better, and no matter how comfortable we get, it's never going to be 'home'...
this blog made me think, and assess, and smile a little - here, alone in emendare. thanks for that.... maybe that's why i love you so much.